1. If you’re reading this list, you are most likely not happy with the state of your relationship. Which is ok. Now you’re contemplating everything they’ve done in the past/present. If you have to see if her/his mistreatment is toxic, it most likely is.
2. They gaslight you. They make you and the people around you think you’re crazy. Or they tell lies that sound so believable that you question your eyes and your trusted people around you.
3. Control issues tend to arise. They must have their way and if not, they claim you don’t care about them.
4. Communication on the fritz? We all know communication is key to ANY relationship. If you guys just can’t seem to communicate about the bad stuff as much as the good, it’s not a relationship worth having.
5. Feeling. Do you feel like you can’t talk to them without fear of them blowing up? Do you feel like they don’t wanna be with you or around? Your feelings could be an indication, unless you have really bad anxiety and depression you must do more digging.
6. Neglect. Do you get neglected for people that claim they don’t have time for? Or ignore your wants and needs?
7. Lack of accountability.
8. Physically abusive. This will forever be a big one but I didn’t want to start off guns a blazing.
9. You feel used and not good after helping. Some of us like helping people but don’t like when people feel obligated to our help.
10. If you are more afraid to leave because of fear of the unknown. Means you’ve become a bit too dependent on the person and or have developed a sense of Stockholm’s syndrome. Stop excusing their shitty behavior that they don’t want to get helped with.
There are many signs that interweave with different classifications of trash spouses. If you find yourself in an emotionally, mentally, and/or physically abusive relationship, please leave. There are people out there ready to love and support you and show you all the ways you should be loved.
Follow @stialove for more 10things you should know about random topics. These lists are compiled from requests in the DM. So if you’d like to submit a topic, it goes down in the DM! 💜